A major upgrade to one of the Macarthur region’s busiest arterial roads is due for completion in 2018, paving the way for the area’s future population growth.
The Narellan Road is one of Western Sydney’s major transport corridors, connecting Camden Valley Way, at Narellan to the Hume Highway, and also Campbelltown.
The road has long been a source of frustration to drivers, as traffic slows to a crawl and lengthens commute times for residents accessing the city and Campbelltown from Macarthur’s newer suburbs.
What is the Narellan Road upgrade?
The Narellan Road upgrade commenced in 2014 as a two-stage project targeting 6.8km of roadway between Camden Valley Way at Narellan and Blaxland Road, Campbelltown.
The first stage was completed in 2016 and involved widening the section between the Hume Highway and TAFE/Western Sydney University Campus to six lanes, creating additional turning lanes and improving the Hume Highway interchange.
The second phase commenced in January 2016. It involves:
- Widening the roadway to six lanes between the Hume Highway and Camden Valley Way.
- Widening the Narellan Road bridge across the Hume Motorway, building a pedestrian bridge over the motorway.
- Installing a 3m, off-road shared pedestrian and cyclist path.
- Extending the southbound on-ramp to the motorway from Narellan Road.
- Intersection upgrades between Blaxland Road and Camden Valley Way as well as landscaping work.
The entire project is slated for completion by mid 2018, weather permitting.
Part of a bigger plan for Western Sydney
The Narellan Road upgrade is among a series of major infrastructure projects for the Western Sydney region, with the Australian and NSW Governments providing $3.6 billion infrastructure funding as part of a 10-year plan.
Further projects include:
- An upgrade to Bringelly Road.
- Construction of the Werrington Arterial Road
- The Northern Road Upgrade.
Roads and Maritime Services NSW notes: “Western Sydney covers almost 9,000 square kilometres and houses a population of about two million people.
“With Sydney’s population predicted to increase by around 1.6 million people in the next 20 years, western Sydney faces unprecedented growth as about one million people choose to live in the region by 2031.
“Right now, more than 845,000 journeys to work start and end in western Sydney and 64 per cent of those are by car.”
About SJ Realty
SJ Realty specialises in real estate within the Macarthur region. We boast a wealth of insight into the current and future position of property in the region.